Dental Checkup and Cleaning – Everything You Need To Know
No matter how good you feel your oral home care is, a regular in-office dental checkup and cleaning is necessary to ensure good oral hygiene is maintained and to spot any signs of problems early. Even if you’re not experiencing any symptoms with your teeth, our experienced team at Ava Maria Dental can detect and treat any issues before they become a bigger problem. In fact, we would go so far as to say that a routine dental check up is vital for maintaining healthy gums, teeth and overall health.
Looking to get a dental exam and cleaning – What happens at a dentist check up?
The main purpose of any dental examination procedure is to ensure that the mouth is thoroughly cleaned and examined for any health issues. Our dental check-up’s include:
- A professional clean to remove any stubborn tartar
- An X-ray
- A thorough examination not only of the teeth and mouth, but the head and neck area too
As part of the dental examination procedure in Narre Warren our dentists will assess you for early signs of gum disease, bone damage, tooth decay, oral cancer, and other dental issues. They will then look to rid your teeth of any remaining plaque and tartar which has built up since your last visit. Tartar for example can only be removed by professional cleaning and if left, can cause damage to your teeth and gums.
In terms of dental check up frequency, we recommend that you visit us every 6 months. However if you are prone to gum disease or have other existing dental issues, then we might suggest you visit us every 3 months.
By attending a check up and clean regularly, we can spot any problems early on, so they can be treated fast. These are problems that you might not even notice. This way the appropriate treatment can be carried out before it progresses to a more serious and (in most cases) expensive problem.
Want to improve your oral health? Here’s how!
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day for 3 minutes a time
- Floss your teeth once a day
- Eat a healthy well-balanced diet, avoiding sugar laden snacks
- Don’t smoke or chew tobacco
- Wear a form of oral protection such as a mouthguard when playing contact sports
- Visit your dentist in Narre Warren for dental check up and cleaning every 6 months